Wheelchair Vans for Non-Emergency Medical Transportation
How to Buy an ADA Compliant Wheelchair Van for Non-Emergency Medical Transportation?
Buying an ADA compliant wheelchair van for non-emergency medical transportation can be a daunting task, but with the right information, it can be made easier. Here are some steps to guide you through the process:
- Determine Your Needs: The first step is to determine your transportation needs. Consider the number of passengers, the type of wheelchair or mobility device you will be transporting, and any other specific needs or requirements.
- Choose a Dealer or Go Factory Direct: Research local dealerships and manufacturers that specialize in wheelchair accessible vehicles. Look for dealers who are knowledgeable about ADA regulations and can provide you with the right kind of vehicle to meet your needs. In nearly all cases you will need a rear-entry wheelchair van.
- Check the Vehicle Features: Look for a van that has features such as a wheelchair ramp or lift, a lowered floor, and wheelchair tie-downs. Check the weight capacity of the lift or ramp to ensure that it can accommodate the weight of the wheelchair or mobility device you will be transporting.
- Verify ADA Compliance: Ensure that the van meets ADA compliance standards. This includes requirements for door width, interior height, and other specifications. You can check with the dealer to ensure that the van meets all necessary ADA regulations.
- Financing Options: Check with the dealer or manufacturer to see if they offer financing options for purchasing the vehicle. You can also explore other financing options, such as loans or grants from organizations that provide assistance to individuals with disabilities.
- If possible, Test Drive and Make Sure the Wheelchair Van Has a Warranty: Before finalizing the purchase, have a virtual walk-through, or if possible, take a test drive to ensure that the van meets your needs and operates smoothly. You should also have the van inspected by a qualified mechanic to ensure that it is in good condition.
- Purchase and Delivery: Once you have made the decision to purchase the van, complete the paperwork and make the necessary payments. The manufacturer or dealer will then arrange for delivery of the vehicle to your location.
By following these steps, you can ensure that you purchase an ADA compliant wheelchair van that meets your non-emergency medical transportation needs.
About Adaptive Vans
Since 1979, Adaptive Vans has had one clear goal: to provide our customers with excellence, simplicity and convenience at an affordable price. We are a proud charter member of the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) and align with their mission to improve transportation options for people with disabilities. We strive to produce high quality wheelchair accessible vehicles to help people with disabilities lead happy, healthy and more mobile lives.
We also take safety very seriously. As a member of NMEDA, we strictly adhere to the safety standards of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and participate in NMEDA’s Quality Assurance Program™ (QAP), a nationally recognized accreditation program for the mobility equipment industry developed to promote quality, dependability, and safety.
In 1979 Adaptive Mobility Systems, Inc. began by installing lifts and custom components in vans for wheelchair accessibility. In 1999, under current management, we designed and manufactured our first lowered floor minivan conversion. We have built and crash tested our minimally invasive conversions on the Dodge, Chrysler, VW, Kia, Honda, and Toyota minivan platforms while not compromising the structural integrity of the vehicle and exceeding safety standards.
From 1999 to 2017 all our conversions were sold exclusively by AMS Vans, an internet marketer, under the branding “AMS.” In late 2017 AMS Vans sold its business, ending our long partnership. We now independently sell our conversions to mobility dealers all over the United States, and recently to the public with the new branding “Adaptive Vans.” Using the knowledge and skills we gained from converting over 7,000 vans we believe we can offer the strongest, simplest, and safest wheelchair accessible vans at a price no other manufacturer can compete with.
Based in Tucker, Georgia, our production facility is staffed with skilled professionals, using the latest technology to create converted vehicles that are easy to maintain and service at one of our many service centers across the country. Whether selecting a van from our inventory or converting a van purchased from another source, our finished products appear and perform nearly identical from a vehicle purchased directly from the manufacturer’s showroom. We are able to perform conversions that match up with our customers’ needs and desires. Whether they are looking for side or rear entry, we are able to come up with the perfect solution at a price that is well within reach for most families.
Thanks to our long-standing reputation as a trusted brand, we are able to work with mobility dealers and car dealerships to help them provide their customers with the freedom and accessibility that a wheelchair-accessible van can deliver.Safety, reliability and quality. Take a look at what Adaptive Vans has to offer and start planning your mobile future.